This document describes how users can activate the microphone and camera on a Windows computer. This requires that users have access to the computer's administrator account.
Concerned Windows version
- Windows 10 LTSC
- Windows 10 Education 1909 or older
(Windows 10 Education 2004 is not affected)
The Windows10 distribution, which is available via the CampusSachsen Portal, incorporates security settings that have been coordinated with SG 3.5 Information Security of TU Dresden:
- Transmission of Windows usage data to Microsoft is prohibited
- Use of microphone & camera by applications was generally switched off to prevent random or remote activation of these components. This prevents people from looking or hearing into your room via the computer.
Similar settings may have been made for other versions during installation by local IT administrators.
Activating microphone and camera
To participate in telephone and video conferences via online platforms, microphone and camera must be activated. The activation is done by a change in the Windows registry (registry entries). Proceed as follows.
Administrator account and access data for the computer are known
It is important to distinguish whether you work with the left or right mouse button. The required key is indicated in square brackets with capital letters [L] and [R].
- Click on Windows icon (Start) [L] → Windows System [L] → Command prompt [R] → More [L] →Run as administrator [L]
- Usually the administrator password is now requested. Enter the password. If your account already has the necessary rights, confirm the appearing query with "YES".
- A black window appears:
- Enter here the command lines from the box below (5) one by one. For this purpose
- select the text after a dash completely
- copyx it to the Windows clipboard (CTRL+C)
- switch to command prompt (the black window is active)
- paste the content from the Windows clipboard (CTRL+V)
- compare text line (search for Microphone, Camera or Apps)
- confirm input (press Enter or Return)
- If the desired text is not in the windows, delete the line (backspace key) and try again with the desired line.
- reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppPrivacy /v LetAppsAccessMicrophone /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f
- reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppPrivacy /v LetAppsAccessCamera /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f
- reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore /v DisableStoreApps /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f
Now close the command prompt.
- Microphone and camera are now ready for use. A restart of the computer is not necessary.
Administrator account and access data are not known
In this case the responsible IT administrator must be involved. Via remote access to the computer, the necessary steps can be taken.
For remote access the ZIH offers ISL: https://rsupport.zih.tu-dresden.de.
In order for your contact person to customize the entries in the registry, they must enable administrator mode in ISL light.